Warning

This blog may contain swears

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Canada trippin

Seen so many freakin’ trees, big mountains, lakes and rivers in the last 5 days or so. Don’t get me wrong, it’s stunning as hell… but you get over exposed and it becomes less exciting.


I’m really bloody glad I’m getting out and about and seeing Canada. Felt weird when people would ask me where in Canada I’d been and all I could say was Vancouver. Things are definitely on the up in that department though.

Highlights:

- jumping off a high rock into an icy freakin cold lake

- sitting around a fire with Moose tour group drinking beer and listening to German dude Tobias play guitar/sing.

- Lake Louise, tourist as hell, pretty bloody lovely though. Really awesome coloured water. I’m really sad at myself for not jumping in. That was one of my aims for this trip, jump into as many stupidly cold Canadian rivers and lakes. It was so fucking cold though, and there were these rocks… making it hard to get in, and there were so many freakin tourists hanging around… excuses, excuses. I know… boo.



- Getting an elevator to the top of the stupid motel that faces Lake Louise and convincing a lady who works there to let about 5 of us from the Moose tour into a room and take photos of the lake from a higher vantage point.

- Canadian animals, saw me some deer, elk, mountain goat or something… more squirrels (still high up on my fave animal list, so damn cute). We also saw this baby black bear. So many people stopped on the side of the road getting photos. Some of them were stupid enough to get out of their cars and try and get close. Silly fuckers.

- Staying at hostels in Edith Cavell and Rampart Creek that didn’t have electricity or running water. Made for some good and smelly times. Took a shit in a pit (one of those smelly pit toilets). These hostels were much cooler than the other ones. Much quieter, not full of rowdy young back packers. Made for some real nice times.

- Moose group. Ended up being a real cool group of people, made for many good times. Had to say bye to most of them today, kinda sad. That’s the hard thing about traveling I guess (one of them). Make all theses friends that you have to leave. You add them on facebook, but you know it’s never gonna be the same.


- Hot Springs in Jasper. Damn cool, they were outside and surrounded by mountains and trees and shit. Looked just like a pool, but the water was supplied by natural hot water from the ground or some shit. Really awesome temperature. Lots of fun running between the hot ones and the cold ones.

- Went up some glacier, got up there in a truck. The helicopter ride and hike around a glacier in New Zealand shat all over this experience though.


- Kayaking on some river thing.. in Revelstoke. Family business, they took photos for you and put them up on net for free. All the boats were hand made by the guy who took us around. They gave us this real cute packed lunch at the end. Real nice. Click here for photos.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for telling me about when you took a dump.

Also, I booked my ticket for LA - 14th September.

Kate said...

I know how much you love hearing about other peoples bowel movements, that comment was especially for you Cam!

Hoorah for travelling around the states!

April said...

Haha - You should have swam in the Lake... I did when I was doing the trail ride job there a few summers ago. It is freakin' cold. Made my bones hurt. One guy stayed in too long and got mild hypothermia... no fun.