Warning

This blog may contain swears

Monday, March 2, 2009

Katie the donut lady

It's been two weeks since I touched down in sunny Canada. I am still glad that I chose to come on this overseas adventure.

I've found a new house to live in. Everyone in Canada moves into new rental houses on the 1st of the month, which seems quite strange to me. How do people move out of their houses for the 1st of the month deadline when they can't move their stuff in until the first. It prob means all the rental trucks are booked a fair time in advance for the 1st. Rediculous!
So yeah, today being the first of March means that I'm saying farewell to Hugues and Becks place and hello to my own. I've had an ace time with them, but it'll be real nice to sleep on a bed, spread my shit every where and (hopefully) not be an inconvenience to anyone!

My first job interview was at Tim Hortons, a Canadian donut chain. I was given the job and uniform on the spot and asked to start work the next day. Yikes, full on. I didn't really have time to think... 6:30am starts, Mon to Fri... $8.35 Canadian an hour. Sounds pretty damn shit. I almost quit before I'd even started. I've worked two shifts now and figure I'll continue on until I find something better. It's good motivation to find better work.



I got me a mini computer. An acer. The keyboard and screen size are annoying, especially coming from a 22 inch monitor. It's a bit slower too.. damn sight better than no computer though.



Went to Granville island yesterday. I'd been getting worried that Vancouver was a bit of a dive, no where near as cool as Melbourne. I still don't think it's as cool as Melbourne, but Granville island reasured me that there is definitely some cool shit to see. Had some awesome fish and chips and then went on this Granville Island Micor brewery tour. The beer in Canada seems really awesome. Granville island beer has seasonal beer, so they bring out a winter beer, and a spring beer etc. Makes beer drinking especially exciting. I love it!



I walked outside today and though, wow, it seems warm. I came back inside and checked out the weather forecast, it said that it was currently 8 degrees celcius in Vancouver. I never thought I would see the day where I thought that was warm. There's a first time for everything I guess.



My plans for the rest of my stay overseas are vague but here are a few ideas:

- Kids camp over the summer holidays somewhere in Canada
- Road trip/camping journey around states with Rich, dude I met at woodford folk festival, to sus out American sights and music festivals.
- Travel around States with dad, perhaps around August
- London? Perhaps stay with dude from Essex who I met on Intrepid trip around Japan, or Kellie? From there go to Berlin to visit Eliza?? Oktober fest???

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Got some crazy eyes going on in those photos Katie. I'm really liking the beige on you though.
I think that I might like one of those cherry chocolate bloom donuts...reckon you can hook me up?
Do people eat them for breakfast?

Kate said...

Yeah, donuts any time of day seems to be okay here.

I dislike the donuts before I've really given them enough time for me to get sick of them. There's a honey glaze one that is pretty good though. Some of them are just filled with weird goo. I also think posting donuts is a bad idea... you should come here though, can prob hook you up with a free one... Or take a photo of myself eating one... that's almost as good right???

Anonymous said...

Hows the new flat going Kate? Maybe post a photo or two? Have you organised furniture or do you want me to bring the ute over on the weekend?

Guessing you are now pretty busy at the donut shop - did you say 6.30am to 2 pm?

Spoke to Cameron last night - said he was interested in travelling to the states in September - maybe get together?