Warning

This blog may contain swears

Friday, November 28, 2008

Reports over

I have finished reports. There should be relief. I am relieved I guess. It's more of a checking out though. Just struggling to put in the effort that is required to get me through the last 3 weeks of school. Finishing school just means packing up all my worldly belongings and getting the hell outta here though. Exciting, except I am a hoarder. I don't like to get rid of things. I attach sentiment to everything. I need to be strong. Get rid of things. Let go. Free myself. Apparently it is an excellent feeling to own a minimal amount of things. I have no doubt. I really kinda like things though. I am a consumer. I'm not proud, I try and resist, I've never been real good at doing that either though.

Things always seem to have a way of working out. I'm sure this will be the same.

I've really started thinking about the practicalities of going away. I am starting to get nervous. Another part of my personality is being a bit over cautious, organised. I dunno how people pack so lightly. Already I'm thinking of all the clothes I'd love to take, the three pairs of shoes, minimum. So much. Again, I need more relaxing. I'm pretty sure Canada will sell anything I need. I will survive.

I'm also starting to think about the reality of being away from everything I've always known. I found three weeks in Vietnam a bit hard. This will be a lot more long term. I've always relied on having the family as an easy phone call away, or weekend trip away if need be. I will miss that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The first month is the hardest. Then you get a bunch of friends and settle in.

I remember being on the phone to mum a week after arriving in Japan, mentioning that I disliked the place and wanted to escape back to Aus. Good thing she talked me out of it; sometime between then and the end of the year I found myself pretty attached to good ol' Nihon.

And consumerism ain't so bad, just as long as you don't get out of hand like that Wal-Mart mob who crushed an employee so they could buy half-price coffee mugs.