Warning

This blog may contain swears

Thursday, January 3, 2013

New Years

Yesterday my friend Aiko drove me into the local shrine in Kutchan to make a new years wish.

Here's Aiko and her dog Pa-ke at the front of the shrine.


Up the stairs:


People walking up to the shrine:


I watched what Aiko did first, then copied. She threw a 10 yen coin into this box thing, then rang a bell. Then clapped her hands twice and bowed, with her hands held in front of her, like she was praying. She made her wish, and then moved on. I did the same thing.

We then went to get our fortunes. There was the option to get an english version, but I went for the Japanese option, thought it would be cooler. Didn't get a chance to translate it yet though.

Aiko then took me to the supermarket to help me figure out what the hell I was buying. She then took me to her house and made me a traditional new years drink, made with the left over rice used to make sake. The drink wasn't alcoholic, and tasted a little bit like sake, but was more sweet. It was pretty good.

New Years Eve itself was nothing big, ended up in Lawsons, a convenience store for the countdown, to buy delicious greasy chicken. Mmmm, Lawsons chicken.

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

HAPPY NEW YEAR KATE AND MATT. Please keep blogging. It is so good to hear what you're up to and I'm also really enjoying the videos and photos. Scenery looks pretty and also very cold.

Kate said...

Yeah! It's beautiful! But you're right... VERY cold!