Warning

This blog may contain swears

Saturday, October 24, 2009

Toys R Us

I gots me a new job… at Toys R Us… yay?! $9.50/hour. Not so great. Better than Tim Hortons at least. That was $8.35/hour, plus had less breaks, plus stank of coffee and donuts afterwards.

Perks – 15% off, not too stressful (mostly)

Negative – shit pay, customers, mega pressure to sell toy warranties to customers. 5 percent of sales we make we are meant to seel these waranties. Huge profit for Toys R Us.

It’s been okay so far, only had 8 shifts. I’m not super excited, but hopefully it’ll be enough to pay the rent. Most other people who work there are 15-19 years old or they’re a manager. The girl who trained me has no social skills and seems to get frustrated easily. I sure hope she doesn’t read this. She’s fine, she’s been working there 8 years, is still just working service at the registers. Instead of communicating what she wants, or acknowledging me, she just gives me this look of disdain/frustration or totally ignores me. Not so pleasant. There are some people there who are quite cool though. Pommy dude who is also trained to be a teacher, he is real nice/chatty. This chick who is real chill and likes to make a whole bunch of swears, and this manager who is also super friendly/helpful and chill.

I am still searching for other work, I am quite unsure as to what I want to do. Working an office job would melt my brain I think, the not moving, staring at a computer screen. Yuck. Bar/café work means tips, but also means shit hours, working weekends, possibly dealing with drunk people and late shifts. I could do teacher stuff maybe? ESL work? I’m not sure if that would kill my brain either, sounds like the best option so far, not sure how to get into it though. If you have any suggestions for my future work endeavors that would be much appreciated.

All these thinks make me wonder what I want to do when I get back to Australia. I still have no bloody idea, less idea than when I left even maybe. Not teaching I don’t think. It still hurts my brain too much to think about doing that. Casual relief teaching maybe. Maybe move back to Wagga, live with parents and study creative arts at TAFE?! Haha, who knows.

4 comments:

Eric said...

Whats ESL work? Most jobs have their downside. Need an interesting job that challenges you. Keep looking, eyes open, may just pop up.

Kate said...

Engligh as second language, so teaching english.

Ben said...

How would teaching ESL hurt brainies?


Ah, the old scam called the extended warranty. I remember it from my days at Harvey Norman. Seems an even bigger scam to be selling them on toys....

Kate said...

It could hurt brainies because teaching can be shitty. I've done teaching and I didn't really like it. Maybe it will be different teaching Enlish? I'm not sure, I suspect it wont be any better.

Yeah, warranties, did you get commission for selling warranties? We don't, I suspect managers do though.